Sign Up for New York State’s Energy Affordability Program


Steps for Self-Enrollment into your

Electric/Natural Gas Utility’s Energy Affordability Program 


What is the Energy Affordability Program (EAP)? The NYS Energy Affordability Program / Low-Income Bill Discount Program provides income-eligible consumers with a discount on their monthly electric and/or gas bills, as well as other benefits, depending on your particular utility’s program.  You can download this PDF that walks you through the application process with examples or you can follow the instructions below.

Why is the EAP program important? Two reasons:

  1. Low-income customers will save $ on every bill for 12-14 months (depending on the household and the utility, you could receive anywhere from $13 per bill to $75).
  2. If you have utility debt from the COVID-19 pandemic, enrolling in the program can erase up to $4,750 to apply automatically toward any electric or gas bill debt owed up to May 1, 2022. If you already received utility debt assistance in 2022, you unfortunately will not qualify for this debt erasure again. 

How can you apply?

  • Step 1- Are you a ConEd (Electric/gas) customer and/or National Grid (natural gas) customer?
  • Step 2 – Please have your utility bill with you or pull one up online
  • Take a look at the bill to see if you are already enrolled in National Grid or ConEd’s Energy Affordability Program (EAP). Attached below are sample bills and sample EAP applications. The sample bills show you where on the bill to check for current enrollment. It may or may not be in that exact place but look for the phrase “Energy Affordability Credit”, “Energy Affordability Program”, or “Energy Affordability Adjustment”
  • You will need your utility account number 

You will need proof of eligibility through one of the qualifying programs:

  • A qualifying program is one of the following:
    • Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP)
    • Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP) (Food Stamps)
    • Supplemental Security Income (SSI)
    • Medicaid
    • Veterans Disability or Survivors Pension
    • Federal Public Housing Assistance
    • Temporary Assistance for Needy Families (TANF)
    • Safety Net Assistance

▪ For proof of eligibility, you will need to provide an award letter for one of the qualifying programs you are enrolled in 

▪ The award letter or other proof documentation must have the name of the person receiving the  benefit and be a program you have qualified for within the past 12 months. If the person receiving  the benefit is not the person on the account, then the award letter/documentation must  demonstrate that the receiver of the qualifying program benefits resides at the same address as that associated with the account  

▪ Note: the person receiving the qualifying benefit (ex. SNAP) need not be the account holder, but must be a household member 

▪ Note: if you believe that you are low-income but not currently enrolled in a qualifying program, you can fill out a SNAP application. If you’re approved, then you can use the award letter to submit your EAP application 

  • Step 4- If you have any questions or need any other utility assistance, see further resources below

Frequently Asked Questions about the Energy Affordability Program



  • Low-Income Home Energy Assistance Program (HEAP) – (closed on March 31, 2023).
  • Emergency HEAP (30 days of protection vs shutoffs) (closed on May 19, 2023).
  • Heating Equipment Clean and Tune (opened October 3, 2022)
  • Heating Equipment Repair/Replace (opened October 3, 2022)
  • Cooling Assistance (closed July 14 2023)


You will notice, most of these programs have closed. If this makes you upset and you still need help with utility debt, please contact Briana Carbajal, WE ACT’s State Legislative Manger, either by email at or phone (646) 574-0773 to set up a 15-minute appointment to talk about your options.



  • Pay what you can when you can
  • Contact your utility to ask if a termination is scheduled and if so when it is
  • Have you sought financial assistance for the amount you owe through your local Department of Social Services (DSS) or Human Resources Association NYC (“HRA”), or sought funds from charitable orgs? If you have, please tell your utility and request a hold on your account
  • Does someone in the house have a “serious medical condition” or is using “life sustaining equipment”?
  • Has your utility offered you an affordable “deferred payment agreement”? If not, we can help you get one.
  • Have you filed a complaint with the Dept. of Public Service?

Stay Up To Date